Living in coolness in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you experience a taste of uneasiness with an air conditioner failure. It can occur at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be running properly, but it still says that the temperature is above 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners stop working, especially considering the weather in Phoenix. Here are a couple of things that you can look for before you call Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your exterior air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and see that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat movement isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This malfunction can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other potential internal destruction to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar troubles that Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner reduce proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Dirty air filters can also decrease the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always search for an obstacle or jam in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to decrease efficiency and slow down.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also deterred from outdoor barriers close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling abilities. Make sure that your system is free from obstacles and is cleaned routinely to reduce the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should check and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature programmed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box ok or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system function, call Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc at 602-832-7808.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under annual maintenance, you should have you air conditioner working again in no time. Our team at Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc in Phoenix is always here to assist – give us a call at 602-832-7808.