According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc in Phoenix about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the pros at Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Phoenix home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Dial One Mears Air Conditioning & Heating Inc at 602-832-7808 or make an appointment online.